Performance PIEce

 For this project, there was the set goal of embodying generosity in a performance piece and an accompanying artwork. I had a number of ways that I wished to express generosity in the era of a pandemic, but eventually I came to realize that the way I best liked to give to others was by baking them a pie. The gift in baking a pie, for me, has always been in the process of making it, and for some reason baking pies has been something that I have drawn a great deal of joy from. Therefore my goal for the art piece was to in some way allow others to feel the same joy that I got in the process of baking a pie. 

I chose a chocolate pecan pie, as it has always been my most popular recipe. It is largely a recipe of my own creation, and I have it had it documented better in my memory than in any physical place. To ensure that everyone would enjoy the pie that I baked, I woke up early on the morning of the performance day and closely documented every step in making the pie, so that while I was cutting and serving it, everyone could watch as I walked them through how it was made. The performance, I think, was only an embodiment of the larger art piece, as where the generosity lay was in the act of making the pie, the smell of it as I sliced it into servings, the eating of it, and the insight into the recipe used. I also think it calls into question whether the larger experience I have had in learning this craft of pie baking becomes part of the art piece as I am merely showing this point in a skill that I have been practicing for a while now, that I could share with everyone at this point in my life. 

Having a pie at this time is seasonal and brings a simpler level of enjoyment to our day, and has obvious appeal as a comfort food as well as its deeper meaning of sharing a part of myself. I didn't initially think of it as an art piece as baking pies has always been such a personal pleasure for me, but in the end I am glad I chose this method of delivering the art piece. Walking everyone through my documentation and showing them the ingredients I used as almost a therapeutic reminder of when I made the pie, and my hope was that some feeling of that could transfer over to the audience. 



































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video Project

Meet in the Middle Project